Some people may think Iowa is nothing more than cornfields. But as the second largest metro area in the state, Cedar Rapids quickly proves that theory wrong. Cedar Rapids really is the perfect college town.
There are over 100 restaurants in the area ranging from American to Vietnamese fare, 100 night spots that offer anything from listening to the latest hits to country line dancing, a variety of activities for the arts buff as well as the outdoorsy type, and the friendliness of a small community all in one place. Discover Cedar Rapids and enjoy yourself!
Business, Industry and Internships
Cedar Rapids is in the heart of one of the leading manufacturing regions in the U.S. and one of the leading bio-processing and food ingredient centers in North America. It is the largest corn-processing city in the world.
As the home to nearly 300 manufacturing plants and Fortune 500 companies, including Collins Aerospace, General Mills and Quaker Oats, Cedar Rapids provides an abundance of internship opportunities for Coe students.
One of the Nation's Best Communities
With a metropolitan population of more than 267,000 residents, Cedar Rapids consistently ranks as one of the nation's top communities to live, work, play and raise a family. Recent accolades Cedar Rapids and the surrounding communities have earned include being among the best places in America to live, educate children, do business, commute and volunteer.
- Cedar Rapids was ranked within the top 10 in the nation and first of Iowa cities in Livability.com's "Top 100 Best Places to Live" in 2023.
- Cedar Rapids is ranked as the #7 Best Midsized Ciy to Make a Living in 2023 by MoneyGeek.com, and a Top 15 Fastest-Growing Midsize City in the nation according to the American Growth Project.
- Cedar Rapids has been called one of the "Best Places for Business and Careers" by Forbes magazine in 2019.
- Cedar Rapids has been ranked #6 for Best Places for Career Opportunities and is within the top 50 for highest median earnings in the nation by SmartAsset in 2022.
- Iowa has been ranked #3 for opportunity among all states in the categories of affordability, economic opportunity and equality by U.S. News & World Report in 2023.
Check out the complete list of recent national rankings and recognition received by Cedar Rapids.
Would you believe a cultural Mecca exists in the middle of cornfields and farms? We can! Enjoy a play, musical or opera performed by fellow Coe students and Cedar Rapidians at Theatre Cedar Rapids, located within walking distance of campus. Catch a Broadway tour or concert at the Alliant Energy PowerHouse or the Paramount Theatre. Check out art by locals or see visiting exhibits at the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art or the Cedar Rapids Area Cultural Alliance.
Cedar Rapids is home to two major hospitals - St. Luke's Hospital is located very conveniently right across the street from Coe, and Mercy Medical Center is a few short blocks from campus.